Be Still

“The Lord will fight for you, you need only to be still." Exodus 14:14 NIV84 

How insightful this verse is. How practical and short, but oh how challenging! “Still” in our society equates to words like inactive, unproductive, wasteful, and generally a loser in life. “Still” to me can equate to guilt, a longer “to do” list, little to visibly show for my time, or, last but not least, more guilt. “Still” to God is where He did his mightiest work. What looks like a waste of time to the world is the very place God sets bushes on fire, parts seas, pushes back armies, and even becomes a Savior who died in our place. 

Jesus modeled being “still” and resting quietly in God’s will. The disciples questioned “stillness” over and over. The disciples were uncomfortable with “stillness” and even slept three times when asked to pray in the “stillness.” “Stillness” is as much a challenge to understand and apply to our lives today as it was for the disciples to understand and apply while walking with Jesus. 

“Stillness” in God makes us way more successful, guided, and guarded. Ps. 46:10 says, “Be still and know that I am God.” So why not do it? I have excuses a mile long and no good reasons in the end. Being “still” is a command, but I have to choose to obey. I must choose to take time, find a quiet place, find a verse that applies to my battle and let God fight for me. I must choose to be “still” and know that He is God as I wait for Him to move in and reveal His plan, in His time, and in His way. 

How about you? Who is fighting your battles…you or God? Why not take time right now to ask God to show you what it would mean for you to “be still.” Surrender your fight and let the Lord fight for you. Remember, He is not the hurricane, the fire, or the mighty wind, but the “still” small voice 
(I Kings 9:11-13). 

Cannot be reproduced without permission from shellyanne1130@gmail.com

Popular Posts