REAL

Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere,” I proclaim, Yet, I spend all my time everywhere but resting in your name. “As the deer pants for the water, so my soul longs for you,” I recite, But then I spend all my time in the trite. Jesus looks down and sees man “harassed, helpless and lost,” I walk by and don’t even think to count the cost. “Ask, seek and knock,” persevere in prayer I exhort, But on my knees I find 10 minutes a chore. “I surrender all,” I agree with the Sunday choir, While all week I race, run and rush in my own strength to aspire. “It is all about You Jesus,” is the praise song I sing, So why do I live all about me in the dailiness of things? Hardness of heart slips in while I go through the motions, All the while faking my devotion. How depressing you say, but if honest, you’ve been there I know, In the rut, in the mask, in the struggle of the show. O God help me be real and by you power live truth, Not for a attention, accolade or position, But solely for You in loving submission. Realness to hunger, seek, find and follow, So others may see a life that is not hollow. 
  

Cannot be reproduced without permission.

Popular Posts