Motives

I love the section of the Sermon on the Mount found in Matthew 6. Jesus says so much about all of life in this section. He reminds us that our motives determine our praying, giving, serving, fasting, loving, forgiving, and so much more. Jesus warns us not to flaunt our religious behavior. In all things, I want to ask myself, "What is my motive?" This is a tough question if we are honest. To deepen the question, we can ask, Is this drawing attention to God or to me? Is this about my reputation or God's? Why do we give? Why do we pray? Why do we serve? Why do we fast? Why do we forgive? 

Wrong motives in giving, praying, fasting, forgiving, or serving come down to me wanting to be seen or me wanting to appear spiritual. It is a "form of godliness that denies His power." There is no joy in this. There is no rest. There is endless performance. There is empty religious activity. This is why I believe Jesus spoke so strongly in the Sermon on the Mount about the need for right motives. 

With the right motives, we give because Jesus has given us everything and He commands it! We pray to Praise God, Repent of our sins, Ask God on behalf of others, and Yeild to His will. We forgive and find freedom or we harbor and grow hard. We serve for His glory and to further His kingdom. We fast to focus on God in a deeper way and to hear from Him clearly. 

Now the application...does my life look like this? Time spent in His presence and being honest before Him is the only way to keep our motives pure. Freedom comes when we abandon our religious activity and live in the power of God giving Him all the glory.

Popular Posts