Hurricane

Christian artist, Jimmy Needham, sings a song called, "Hurricane." It is a very insightful song that has a profound line, "If destruction is what I need, then I will receive it, Lord, from Thee." This is not destruction that is negative, but destruction that is needful. It is a destruction that tears walls around my heart down and reminds me of my deep need for daily surrender to my living, loving God! 

Rush of Fools sings a song called, "Freedom Begins Here." The line I like in that song says, "Just like a hurricane, you devastate everything that needs to change, you are the only thing that is beautiful in me." So why all this music about hurricanes? Well, maybe I am longing for the beach and the simple life of sand, sun, and waves crashing. Maybe an escape would be nice as the waves of everyday life crash around me. But, in reality, I know God is at work in my life. He is not concerned with my comfort, but with my clinging. He wants me to cling to Him in every area of my life. He wants me to cling to His promises, not the circumstances that confront me. He wants me to cling to His control and toss my own. 

There is a perfect hurricane passage in the Bible in Mark 4:35-41. It is the story where Jesus and his disciples get in the boat for a little ride. Jesus is sleeping and some hurricane-type winds begin to throw the disciples all out of sorts. They panic and start screaming for Jesus to wake up and care a little about all that is going on in their life. You know that is what I find myself doing so many times. I stand in my little corner and cry, "Jesus, do you see the hurricane? Don't you care if I am drowning here!" All the while He faithfully replies, "Peace! Be still!" How about that insight. If I could just be still, He would give me His view and settle me into His peace. 

Even after all these years of His faithfulness, I find myself lsaying, "Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey Him!" I know who Jesus is, I just forget that He offers the eye of the hurricane to me as a refuge. I just fail to put my eyes on the controller of the storm and instead focus on the raging storm. 

Hurricane season is coming. Look around and be reminded that Jesus wants to hold us while the waves crash around us. "God forgive me for my control issues! Put me in the eye of your will and put my eyes on you no matter what storms rage around me. You are so faithful even when I am not, and I am so thankful!"

Cannot be reproduced without permission from shellyanne1130@gmail.com

Popular Posts