Weigh Your Words

The words of Jesus are very clear about our mouths. Our mouths speak what is in our hearts. A good friend recently commented, "What is in your heart will come out of your mouth, and where your heart is your feet will go." Beyond that, Matthew 12:36 says we will give an account for every word we speak. That should scare me when I stop to think about all the words I have spoken so flippantly or needlessly. I

t amazes me that I don’t take my words more seriously. Why do I speak until I sin? Why does so much of what I say just not matter? How can I speak with wisdom and worth? In light of these questions, Jesus’ word advises me that I should weigh each of my words before they fly out of my mouth. 

Here are some questions you and I can ask ourselves to help weigh our words: 
  • Is it encouraging? 
  • Is it helpful? 
  • Is it useful? 
  • Is it necessary? 
  • Is it timely? 
  • Is it truthful? 
  • Is it loving? 
Along with the questions, we can memorize and use the following verses to help filter our words.
  • Palms 19:14 says, “May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing in your sight oh Lord my rock and my redeemer.” 
  • Proverbs 12:18 says, “Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.”
  • Proverbs 10:19 says, “When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.”
  • Proverbs 10:21a says, “The lips of the righteous nourish many.” 
There are a vast amount of verses in the Bible on our words. Memorizing scripture that applies to my mouth has helped me more than anything to weigh my words. Take time to search through Proverbs and let God show you a verse that will personally help you weigh your words. 

“Lord, may the words of my mouth and even the thoughts of my heart please you. May I learn to avoid reckless speaking and speak with wisdom and healing. Show me how to talk less and listen more. Make my lips known as lips that nourish rather than be known for nagging, negative, nonsense. Thank you for your words Lord, help me live by them. In Jesus name, Amen.”

Cannot be reproduced without permission from shellyanne1130@gmail.com

Popular Posts