What Are You Lacking?

In Mark 10:17-31 a young man comes to ask Jesus, “What am I lacking?” When you take time to read the story you will see the sadness in it. To me it is the story of many modern day lives. A story of a boy who had everything the world screams that will make him happy. This boy had money, prestige, manners, heritage, societal influence, and a place among the elite. I imagine him as handsome, popular, political and the son most mothers would choose for their daughters to marry. He even had a reputation for keeping the law and being religious. Even more impressive in worldly terms, he knew how to approach Jesus with the right posture…he bowed down before Jesus. He was not a stranger to religion and he just wanted Jesus to validate what he had decided made him right with God. Here is the sad part; He was missing the one thing he needed to be right with God: surrender. 

No religion, reputation, heritage, church roll, or bank account can get you a free pass on surrender. Right appearance and even seemingly right actions don’t equal a right heart. A right heat holds nothing back. A right heart surrenders all to Jesus. A right heart sees it is not one thing we do to be religious, but one thing we need above all else: a relationship with Christ. A right heart comes when we see the depth of our sin and our need for the one and only Savior. When we have that kind of heart, then and only then are we right with Christ. 

However, our world, even among the religious today is telling us we can have it all and tack Jesus on at the end on our own terms just like the rich young ruler wanted to do. It is a confusing religious climate we are living in, but God is not the author of confusion; He is the author of truth. 

Last time I checked the Bible stated these truths clearly: gaining the whole world is worth nothing if you lose your soul; you find your life when you lose it; you live by denying yourself, taking up your cross and following Christ; and no one can have two masters. One of my life quotes is by Jim Elliot, “He is no fool who loses what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.” 

Eternal life with Christ is the only thing that will remain in the end. Where do you stand? Have you come to Christ on his terms or your own? Do you have religion or relationship? Are you standing on what you have done or what Christ has done for you? Don’t wait any longer if today is the day you need to surrender and be saved. 

Pray this prayer: “Dear Lord, I know that I am a sinner and that there is nothing I can do on my own to be good enough to get to heaven. I believe you died on the cross for my sins and I thank you for that. Please forgive my sins and come into my life as my savior and Lord. Show me how to live for you and grow in you. In Jesus name, amen.”

Cannot be reproduced without permission from shellyanne1130@gmail.com

Popular Posts