Wise Words

Proverbs 16:21 says, “The wise in heart are called discerning and pleasant words promote instructions.” Such a simple verse but with a lifetime of truth to learn. What would happen if I listened more and spoke less? If I asked questions to learn about others and then listened to their answers? If I considered every word and weighed it before it came out of my mouth? What if I were more concerned about hearing the hearts of others than sharing my own opinions? If I just went a whole day listening, what would happen? Recently, I reflected on a more extended time of learning that God gave me when my children were in elementary school. After throat surgery in 2006, I had to go nine days without uttering a word or a sound. Here are just a few things I learned:

  • First of all, the world goes on without my words.
  • Next, I had much more time to listen to God’s Word and the words of others.
  • Last, I thought a lot more about the power and gift of my words when I received the gift of my voice being healed.

After this time of forced listening and no talking, Psalm 46:10 (Be still and know that I am God….) had a richer meaning for me. I prayed I Samuel 3:10b (Speak, for your servant is listening) with a much better understanding of what listening meant in my life spiritually. I walked away humbled and awed at how big God’s Words are and how much I need to filter my words through Him. 

How about you? Have you considered the impact of your words? The message of your words? The power of those words that can hurt or heal? Do you see your words as a gift from God and use them as a tool to build up His kingdom? 

Prayer: “God give us wise words. May we learn to listen. May we speak words that are meaningful and mentoring. May we carefully weigh each word before it flies out of our mouths. Thank you for the gift of speaking. May we use it and not abuse it. In Jesus' Name, Amen!”

Cannot be reproduced without permission from shellyanne1130@gmail.com

Popular Posts