Challenge or Surrender?

In this passage (Mark 14:27-31, 66-72), Jesus states clearly what is about to happen. I wonder why Peter felt like he knew the future better than Jesus? But in fairness to Peter as we take a look at this passage, how many times do we think we know better than Jesus?

In the parallel passage in Matthew 26:31, Jesus says, “This very night, you will all fall away on account of me…” Peter is called out here, but all the disciples were involved.

In Mark 14:30 Jesus says to Peter, “…before the rooster crows twice, you yourself will disown me three times.” It seems logical at this point that Peter would say one of the following:
  • Help me!
  • Forgive me!
  • Deliver me!
  • Search me!
  • Humble me!
Instead, we find Peter insisting emphatically, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.” I will never…. is such a serious three-word phrase. Especially when you consider that Peter was challenging the very words of Jesus. Have we been in Peter’s spot and responded to Jesus’ words with I will never? Maybe…I will never
  • Forgive that person.
  • Love that kind of person.
  • Move away from my family.
  • Serve in that way.
  • Submit to that leader.
  • Go on a mission trip.
  • Overcome my bondage.
  • Trust that person.
Jesus tells us to have an undivided heart that embraces the truth He speaks without challenge or denial. We must be willing to trust His word over our reasoning, feelings, opinions, or plans. Peter had a hard time with this.

But let’s not just pin all the pride on Peter. Notice the end of verse 31, “And ALL the others said the same.” 
 
How many times has a false sense of pride in our strength for the Lord led us to a place of boasting like this?
 
Now we move from Jesus’ warning to reality. In verse 68, Peter’s first denial is a statement. In verse 70, his second denial is with more emotion. In verse 71, his 3rd denial is an all-out temper tantrum with cursing and screaming.

Then, in verse 72, it says immediately (immediately is used by Mark over 40 times) the rooster crowed and Peter remembered. What did Peter remember? Have you had a Peter experience and remembered the words of Jesus too late? How did it affect you? How much better to heed than remember!

Peter was in process as we all are. He was learning to listen to Jesus and put his own pride, opinions, ideas, and people-pleasing to the side. Peter finally got it in John 21:22 where Jesus said directly to him, “You must follow me!”

So, how about us? We all have some Peter in us I think. Everyday surrender is needed. How much better to listen and obey the words of Jesus rather than challenge and remember his words too late.

Cannot be reproduced without permission from shellyanne1130@gmail.com

Popular Posts