Relationships and Jesus

My husband has said over and over to me through the years, "Life is about relationships." No matter who we are, God made us for relationships.  He designed us to need Him and need other people in our lives.  Jesus modeled relationships for us throughout the gospels.  He could relate to all kinds of people because He loved them and had a vision for them.  He did not prefer, promote, or pick out only the superior to express His message of love and salvation to; Jesus loved all people. Jesus invested in relationships because people are reached through relationships.

In Mark 5:2-42 we see Jesus reaching out to possessed people, fearful people, pleading people, negative people, positive people, obedient people, amazed people, submissive people, pressing people, suffering people, fake people, mocking people, and astonished people.  I have those people in my life and only the love of God can enable me to build relationships with some of them! But, when I remember the cross and the personal connection that salvation brought to me, I can love.  When I read scripture and am reminded of how Jesus loved lepers, prostitutes, bleeding women, blind guides, possessed people, hateful mockers, and so many others, I can love.  Then,  I stretch my arms out wide to heaven and say, "I want all your love, all your commands, all your joy in all kinds of relationships Lord!"  I am not holding anything back from the Lord in fear or selfishness.  I am not afraid of being a living sacrifice surrendering to all His commands and obeying by faith in all the relationships He brings into my life. Why? Life is about relationships and God reaches people through relationships.

Not only is Jesus’ love required for me to build relationships, but I also need Jesus’ vision (Mathew 9:35-38).  Jesus’ vision for relationships enables me to see people through His eyes. Over and Over Jesus' vision went way beyond a glance. Jesus saw the crowds... the harassed, the helpless, the messy, the rich, the poor, the religious, the one caught in sin, the prodigal, the possessed, the searching, the proud, the beggar, the desperate, the weak, the strong,  the wise, the foolish, the broken and the sick. He did not ignore, pass by or minimize what He saw. He was not pumped-up, heady, or self-centered because huge crowds surrounded Him, saw Him, or followed Him. He saw them! Jesus invested in relationships because people are reached through relationships.

He didn't just glance at them or walk on past them. He sat down and taught them, he reached out and touched them, he stooped down and held them. Jesus healed them, heard them, offered forgiveness to them, stopped, and gave them His love, time, and His hope. Jesus invested in relationships because people are reached through relationships.

Ask God to show you what you see in your relationships. Do you see God? Do you see people like He sees them?  Ask him to help you see what He sees.   Ask for a creative vision to see how to pour your life into others.  Ask for eyes to see the relationships that God sends your way.  Ask hard questions like: Who am I  sharing Christ with? Who am I discipling in a relationship?  With which neighbor, family member, co-worker, and community member am I building relationships for the purpose of sharing the gospel?  Pray daily that your relationships matter for the kingdom of God. Jesus is all about relationships and we should be too!

Cannot be reproduced without permission from shellyanne1130@gmail.com

Popular Posts